Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A New Year ~ 2014

Christmas Day concluded with a call telling us that Dad W. went to heaven.  We packed up and were on the road heading for Florida by lunch the next day.  Mary and Matthew rode with us, and we bought Sarah a ticket to fly down Sunday afternoon.  It was so nice to spend time with our extended family over the weekend.  Although it is sad to not have dad here with us anymore, we know that he is in heaven with his Savior.  We celebrated that at his funeral early on New Years Eve.  New Year's Day we got back in the car and drove another two long days, with bad weather back to Michigan. Luckily, we were able to stop for dinner and watch part of the Sugar Bowl where Oklahoma was victorious over Alabama! Boomer Sooner!  Check out our Family Photo Album to see pictures.

I made a new motto for 2014:  Trust More ~ Worry Less.  I am trying my best to stick with it. My new position at the hospital has me busy and tired at the end of a day.  I often wonder if I will ever be able to keep up with this fast paced job.  I have decided that I need to let Dr. B worry about my myeloma and keep trusting the doctor that facilitated my remission! I know that God has a plan for me here on earth for now and I need to work on living day to day as "normal" as possible.

Mary is back at U of M, and will start her student teaching as soon as school resumes. Michigan students have had snow days all week!  I told her she has an extra day to plan, but knowing Mary she is ready to go and chomping at the bit to get in the classroom.  Of course we all look forward to Mary's Graduation Friday, May 2, 2014.  She will then move out to LA to begin her new job with Teach for America, at a high school, teaching English.

Sarah just returned to Toledo after getting an extra few days off thanks to the snow days. She worked diligently on her thesis over the break with Matthew's help.  He would read the statistics and she would type them in (even in the car during the ride home from Florida).  She is anxious to get back to her high school and take care of all the basketball players.  Sarah will receive her Mater's Degree on Saturday, May 3, 2014.  We all look forward to seeing her hooded at graduation and find out where her next job will be.

Matthew has only another day here at home with us before returning to the Unversity of Oklahoma.  It has been so wonderful having him home. He has worked hard helping us keep the house clean and clearing lots of snow that fell. We have had a lot of fun and did some of the goofy things that we used to do when he still lived here full time.  His sisters had fun with him too.   Tonight we are going to try and see the northern lights  after midnight.  They are supposed to be visible in west Michigan if the clouds clear. Matt flies back to OK on Friday morning.  That will make me sad...but I am so proud of him and his success at OU!  I want to try and fly to Norman this spring to see a show, afterall,  I am still a theatre mom!

Jeff has been super busy.  He was strong for all of us and his family throughout the week of the funeral. He gave a very nice message before the service. Back home, he is back to getting ready for church, keeping up with the bills and did snow blowing for us and the neighbors.  He continues to be my caregiver as needed, especially yesterday after I had 4 shots and an infusion they left me pretty sore last night and today.

We learned last week, that Sammy, our dog of 10 years, died at his new home of one year after being adopted just before my transplant.. I couldn't be around dogs and their dandur among other things.  We are glad that our friends that adopted him gave him a wonderful last year!  Sammy was 14.

So in keeping with my new motto~ I am back to work orienting to recovery and I am looking forward to continue learning more and more and increasing my stamina.  Going in with a good attitude.

Here's to a great new day, week, months and year!

No comments: