REASON #2: I meant to blog earlier and wish my Mom a very Happy Birthday! Now it's a 365 days until her next birthday. So, just an hour after her birthday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! WE LOVE YOU!
Ok, now let's see if I can catch you up on the fun things we did recently:
- We went to the West Michigan Whitecaps Baseball Game last Friday after work. We bought lawn seats and it was pretty neat. Now I don't think I could do that every time, but it was enjoyable. Next game, I will either bring a blanket or lawn chairs, or buy reserved tickets and have a seat! Glad to report that we came home winners! Stopped at Applebee's for a late night meal, where you can buy appetizers 50% off! Love the Wings. Mary and Matt usually get Mozerella Sticks or Mini Burgers
- Saturday is when the craziness began. Several car dealers sent out "invitations" to their huge car sales, offering prizes, good trade-ins and even a new car! So, We took the time to start looking at vehicles to replace our minivan. It had served us well, but has lots of miles and little things (some big) kept going wrong. Time for a new car. The GM place showed us a Traverse, Equinox, and then a used Rendezvous. The used one was our favorite of the day. Had some blemishes on the interior. But still rode pretty nice. No decisions were made, except to wait and think.
- Sunday after church, we were invited to meet Brandon's family at the Ionia Free Fair to watch a demolition derby. I wasn't too thrilled about going, but I do enjoy spending time together as a family and with Brandon's family too. We always have fun with many laughs! Here is the spin~the demolition derby was with Combines! It was something I have never seen before, nor will I probably see it again. Huge farm machinery crashing into each other! It took a long time between rounds, since they had to haul off the broken rigs. There was also a riding mower derby. That took a long time and the heat of the day made it uncomfortable in the stands. Sure glad the sun wasn't shining! Who knows how much hotter we would have felt. Matthew did catch a free prize thrown into the crowd. It is a plastic horn. The cool thing is that it is collapsible and he can make it sound a little like a trombone.
- We stayed around the fair and saw some farm animals. My favorite: The cows. After all they give us my favorite drink ever! Milk!
- Monday is the day with my buddy. We had a nice day, went for a walk and worked on Pandamania together. Jack emptied the can of materials and I looked at them and got more ideas and planning done for the upcoming meeting. Jeff and Matt did some car shopping and found a nice Toyota RAV4. Nice. Again, no decisions because we had to get to the last church softball game. Jeff was still recovering from some back aches and his twisted ankle, so he was our official umpire. We played really well, and ended up with a strong win! Our team is great..we are having an end of year party on Monday. Maatthew nearly got a home run, Sarah pitched great and caught a line drive and threw to first for a double play. I think I got on base each at bat, either walking or hitting. The evening ended with ice cream and thena 50% appetizers at Applebees.
- Tuesday we were back seriously looking at the RAV4. After many hours of talking with salespeople, loan/financial people and lunch for the family on the house, we bought the 2007 Crossover SUV. It is nice to have another Toyota in the family and not worry about how long the minivan will last. It served us well over the past ten years. With the new car, we still have cargo room for those moves to campus and back home. Sarah will certainly need help moving to her next destination after graduation from Hope College next May. Wow! Had a VBS meeting where Matthew was able place the set and decorate for the staff to see how the church will look
- Today I did accomplish a lot! Bulletin Annoucements, VBS planning, bill paying and letter writing. This evening Mary grilled burgers and hot dogs. She and Brandon went to a concert down by the river tonight. The rest of us went to another church to see their Pandamania set up and then they donated their decorations to us! They are nice and we are thankful. Saw a nice Thunderstorm cloud and Jeff and Matt were going to chase it, but it was too far and it would be dark before the next round moved in. Will have to chase another time!
Our vacation plan is to head out to Mount Rushmore then work our way home through Minnesota and Michigan's U.P. I am looking forward to some great scenery! Speaking of scenery, Matthew's Sunflower's are blooming and beautiful! He grew them for seeds!
That is all...better adjourn until next time!
Lots of new pictures in the family album!