Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Good Times Followed by Life's Challenges

Friday at work went well for less than normal sleep.  I do enjoy my job, but no matter how much sleep I get, by the end of the day, I am exhausted.  So, I took a little nap while Mary was still at work and then we decided to go into Grand Rapids for dinner at  TGiFRidays. We love the pot stickers for appetizers. Matthew and I got chicken tenders, Mary had a burger and Jeff a Chicken Sandwich.  I noticed a shrimp tail amongst my chicken and thought it was a little strange to get just a fried shrimp tail with no shrimp.  A few minutes later, I noticed another shrimp tail, this time it was attached to one of my chickens!  So I decided to tell the waitress and manager. My main concert was that had I not seen the shrimp tail, I could have bitten into it and choked on it.  They were all very nice about it and bent over backwards to make things right. The food and the service was good. We will certainly go back.The whole experience was a memorable one for the whole family.

Saturday was Mary's last official day on the Mc Doanld's.  She will continue to work on an call-in basis. This gives her flexibility with her hours this last month of summer. I spent some time working on vacation plans and also planning things to do when my mom comes.  Did some grocery shopping and then got to work on making bulkoogi for Sunday's dinner.  Mary and I work well in the kitchen and had it done and in the fridge pretty quick.

Sunday church was very good and I helped with blood pressures. Afterward, Mary grilled some chicken for wrap sandwiches for lunch. Our Korean meal was only 6 hours away, so Mary and I were back in the kitchen making Yakimondue in the early afternoon.  Mary kept working while Jeff and I went to the local Long Term Care homes for chapel.  By the time I got home,  It was time to start frying the yakimondue and start the rice.  Set the table, then cook the bulkoogi. Mmm. Brandon and his family came over and we all enjoyed the meal until we couldn't eat anymore. Jim brought an Asian Slaw that went really well with the menu. But that's not all, we had fortune cookies and brownies ala mode!  Played a game of Apples to Apples, with lots of laughs and fun before the evening came to an end.

Early Monday Morning we discovered that our A/C once again drained water inside instead of outside.  So instead of going to bed late, we were up sopping up water with towels, sucking water with the wet/dry vac and pulling up the carpet and using fans to help dry things out. I couldn't believe this was happening again. It isn't as bad as last year, but still a pain to deal with and there is some damage.  Then Matthew discovered another blow...let's just call him LeRoy enjoying our basement at night! He is now MIA and we haven't heard or seen him since. Keeping the doors closed is important now more than before.  Sleep came late, almost 3 am.

Today Matthew got called into work at the childcare center, changing his plans of going to Holland with Jeff to get the camry home after they pick up Sarah's Kia. Jeff went alone and I had a fun day with my little buddy. Even had a milestone this afternoon~standing alone! I did some laundry, computer work, baked cakes and frosted them as baseballs and made a huge pot of mac and cheese for the Softball Picnic~ Jeff spent the afternoon looking for a new A/C unit, but alas there none to be had and no one expects new shipments.  Looks like we will have to have a plan B.

Our End of Year Softball Picnic was a success. We had burgers and dogs on the grill, plus all the delicious food brought by everyone.  Some of us played yard games and all of us had great fellowship. We did spend a little time discussing any concerns or ideas for next season. We ended the evening with each person telling their favorite story or play of the year.  It was lots of fun. Sarah and her friend both drove from Holland, so Sarah could leave the camry for Matthew and then rode home with her buddy Bev. Everyone has their car back! 

We found out tonight that Brandon will be singing at a concert during  The Danish Festival.  So I will be buying some tickets tomorrow to make sure we don't miss out! You can see what is planned here~Danish Festival Schedule 2011.

It is late again..and all is quiet..The carpet is drying. Jeff moved the dehumidifier upstairs, which was a pretty smart idea!  No signs of LeRoy and tomorrow is another day.  I will be praying for a happy one!

Grace

No comments: