Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Time Really Flies!

I don't know how many times I sit down to write an entry to this blog, and I get side tracked or just too tired to think.  I felt like this tonight, but I am determined to give a summary of the past week.


Wednesday:  A good day back to work. Confirmation began for Jeff and I was at home planning for the weekend ahead.

Thursday: I spent most of the day at church preparing for Sunday School. Rally Day is coming!  First we had a Pandamania evaluation meeting and even started planning for next summer!  I probably spent about four hours cleaning out the craft cabinet. I found lots of old unusable things that had to be discarded.  Then it needed organizing. I wanted to make it easy for the teachers to find things, with the most used items plainly visible.  As I was moving some coloring books around I found an old record. I thought whoa!  It was certainly a 78, that was very heavy and thicker than other records I remember as a kid.  Turned out to be a record from the early 1900's of a male quartet. This was unbelievable!  I brought it home and played it on Mary's record player and it was simply amazing to hear the voices of men that were singing before my dad was born!  I felt like I had found a treasure!  I shared the news with Mary and Brandon and they were pretty excited too!  How on earth did it find it's way into a craft cabinet?

Friday: Another good day at work.  Jeff and I were scheduled to work at the concessions tent for the Senior Mystery Trip, selling burgers brats and fries.  I had fun and we had good business.  Matthew worked too slicing potatoes.  Eventually, they excused Matthew and said you have worked enough!  He shouldn't need to work at anymore events, he got them all done this summer!  Way to go Matt! GHS played Holland High School and I saw a man with Hope Clothes and hat on, so I said Go Hope!   Turned out to be Sarah's badminton teacher and football coach! We had a nice little conversation.

Saturday: We all got up early. Matthew took the ACT and had to be there by 0800.  Jeff drove him there which eased his mind.  He did the best he could and is anxious to see how he scored.  We picked him up at 1215 and then headed to Hope College for their Football game. It was pretty hot and Matthew and I couldn't sit out in the sun for very long.  We were able to find some shade and stayed through the third quarter.  Hope won! Go Dutch!   Stopped by to see Sarah and deliver her mail.  She had lots of homework to do.  I was glad we were home in time to watch some college football, namely, the Michigan game!  It was a crazy game! We didn't look we could win, but I kept the hope and as the game neared the end, the wolverines got better!  Was there time??  Denard Robinson got things moving...we were ahead with a few minutes left, then Notre Dame scored and took the lead by three points, with 30 seconds to go!   Amazingly, the wolverines moved the ball down the gridiron and all we needed was to make a field goal with 8 seconds to go into overtime.  That isn't what happened.  Denard threw a pass into the end zone for a touchdown with only seconds left! We won! Magnificent! A great end to the day!   All my teams won- Tigers, Hope, Florida and Michigan.

Sunday: Rally Day was a success!  We had 46 in Sunday School/Bible Study and the church service was great...the music was nice and Jeff preached a good sermon.  I presented the third graders with their Bibles and that was that!  Later in the afternoon, I got a letter from Mary about her experiences from Saturday before and at the game. She and Brandon enjoyed a walk through the Arboretum in the afternoon.  Then Mary saved a life.  She found a very sick freshman girl in the bathroom, got help and stayed with her until the paramedics arrived.  I am so proud of her, and I told her that God was proud of her too!  Her letters are always so well written and her personality always shines through. She added the top ten reasons why last night's  was the greatest game in Michigan history:

"10. Full moon/beautiful sunset
9. No rain!
8. No terror attacks (apparently there were rumors of non-credible threats)
7. There was a beautiful patriotic tribute at the beginning.
6. Desmond Howard was honored and made a moving acceptance speech.
5. Two parachute drops at halftime
4. We had polite and fun seat-mates (no drunk people!)
3. New attendance record for the NCAA!
2. First night game ever.
1. WE WON!"

Senior Youth Group met at church and we decided on what activities to do over the next few months.  Our bowling league started Sunday night and we took on a name from the past and will be "Alpha and Omega" again this year.  We took only one point, but each of us had a good game.

Monday: Was repair day. Jeff and I cleaned out the dryer vent system and changed the duct work.  The dryer hadn't been drying the clothes too  well, so we figured we had to clean out the lint, before a fire started. It was successful and after some frustration with the taping of the seams, all systems are go, and we are ready to do laundry.  Jeff and Matt worked on the upstairs sink drain. It was leaking.  With our house being so old, we are careful about how much we do with the pipes.  Luckily, we have the water draining and not leaking so we can use that sink again.

Mary surprised us and came home for an overnight.  Brandon had a meeting in town and Mary rode along. It was so nice to have dinner together and then just chat through the evening..We grilled steaks and later ended the night with brownies a la mode!

Tuesday:  I had my little buddy to babysit today.  We had a nice day and a lot of fun!   I got all the laundry done and even cooked dinner!  The kitchen is clean too!  Wow another day of accomplishments. Watched another great Tiger game too!  They are on fire!

It is Wednesday now, and I need to be up in six hours.  That means I have to go to bed....We are having cooler temperatures tomorrow.. highs in the 60's!  Welcome Fall!!! I have had enough hot weather. 

Need some sleep!

Grace

No comments: