Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It is a Small World and We are Bat Magnets

Jeff and I are enjoying Mackinac Island. This afternoon we spent our free time riding a bicycle built for two around the island. My legs are aching but it was worth it. That was something I wanted to do for a long time. Our bike was yellow. I will post pictures when I get home. We stopped on Main Street for ice cream and of course had to bring fudge home. So we shopped around until we found the fudge "flavors" we wanted. The pastors and wives marriage retreat is going well. There are 3 speakers and I have a connection with all three. First there is John Eckrich, MD who looked so familiar to me. After some discussion, I recognized him as his father, who was the chief of staff at Lutheran Hospital when I was at nursing school. Then there is Rev Dr Bryan Salminan, who I remember playing basketball at the seminary also when I was a nursing student. He was also one of Jeff's professors while we were at the sem. Finally, are Dave and Kathy Ludwig. He was vicar at Evergreen when I was born and he and his wife watched my brothers for my parents. They have been good friends ever since. It was nice to spend some time together tonight and catch up on our families. You might know Dave Ludwig as author of the Spirit of We, Renewing the Family Spirit and now Parenting Class Changing the me into we. We also met another clergy couple with two of their kids at Hope College. They only have wonderful things to say about the college as well. Evidently, DaveL's brother, Tom, is a psychology professor there and is a renowed psychologist receiving the "pulitzer prize" of psychology. I will have to tell Sarah about him. Tomorrow is more lectures that are really interesting, exercise a cooking class and more free time. The food is really good. I have a delicious pork chop tonight. The chocolate cake was really yummy. I didn't like the green goddess dressing at lunch though, it was really spicy. Cell phone and wireless internet reception is patchy at best. So while Jeff was getting the computer going in the larger living area of the lodge, guess what was flying around? You guessed it, a bat! Another pastor was here also, and was able to capture it and release it into the cool evening air. We just can't get away from bats.

Mary and Matthew are fine at home. We check in a few times each day. Mary is cooking and keeping up with her play and cello. She is 2nd chair cello again. Matt's team lost again with a score of 7-1. He had a chair test today too for band, but I don't know the results. When I talked to Sarah last, things were going well at school and continues to be very happy there. I guess she loves the chapel time during the week, and doesn't miss the Gathering service on campus on Sunday evenings. That is good to hear!

Well, it is getting late. We need to be up by 0630, so I'd better get off to bed. Have a Happy Wednesday.

Grace