Saturday, October 23, 2010

So Fun-So Busy-So Awesome!

It has been over a week since my last post. Been wanting to blog all week, but didn't have the energy or the creativity. I have the energy on this rainy gloomy Michigan day and have time while I sit and watch college football. Sit back, relax and enjoy our story!

LAST FRIDAY my men and I went to the last home high school football game.  This also happens to be the all awaited "Lights Out" half time show of our Marching Band.  It was really cool to watch as usual. Unfortunately, a fight broke out behind our bleachers and disrupted the people around them.  The situation was controlled quickly without a lot of attention.  We won the game in overtime!  Great win for the Jackets!

SATURDAY was homecoming for the Wilhelms. Sarah came home around lunch time and we spent the afternoon playing the Wii, shopping  and having KFC for dinner per Sarah's request.

I left for Ann Arbor to pick up my Wolverines at 5 pm.  Amazingly I was there by 7:15 pm and they were waiting for me on the corner to throw in their bags and jump in the car to come back home.  Stopped at Jimmy John's for supper and then headed toward Greenville.

Got home by 10:30pm and then Mary Matthew and I went to Meijer for more groceries.   The girls wanted Korean food.  Needless to say we stayed up late and prepared the bulkoogi and got to bed  after 2 am!

SUNDAY was special since the whole family was back in church worshiping together. The congregation surprised us with a Pastor Appreciation presentation after the service.  Jeff and I still have to open the cards since he was pressed to get ready for military duty the next day. It will be fun to sit and open them together without a rush.

Later in the afternoon was a surprise 50th birthday party for Brandon's dad.  He was definitely surprised and we enjoyed celebrating with the Cory family.  Bowling league takes place on Sunday too, so we arrived a little late after the party and bowled the last two games. We split the points with the other team. Norma tells me we are now tied for first place with the same number of wins, but 1 pin behind the other first place team for totals.

MONDAY Jeff left very early in the morning for Shaw AFB, SC.   He would be gone all week and have his annual physical exam and testing.  I guess he was there for a joint weather conference too.  Matthew was at school all day, so the rest of Monday was Ladies Day!

The girls got up early with me to go to my last appointment with my foot/leg surgeon.   I did get one more shot in the left foot to eradicate any leftover inflammation. After a few days of a sore leg post cortisone, I am glad to report that my leg feels pretty good, and my foot pain is virtually gone!  Very happy that I had the procedure.  If my right foot acts up again, I would certainly consider having  that leg "fixed" too.

Then it was the girls turn.   They both got a very nice hair cut and look beautiful.   Lunch was simply delicious at Olive Garden.  The waiter liked the girls I think (why wouldn't he?) since he kept bringing us lots of mints after our meal. We went shopping most of the afternoon and purchased some great stuff.  Mary bought boots and material for halloween costumes for her and Brandon.  She is going to be Cleopatra and he will be Augustus Caesar.  Sarah bought herself a GPS system for "her" car.  It is super nice and I am a little jealous.  Sure would be nice to have one. I think Jeff wants one too.  Hmmm,  Christmas is coming! Then I decided it was time for me to have an iPod. I had been saving up some money and found a great deal at Best Buy.  Got the 4th generation iPod Touch with a camera, nice ear buds, two covers and a charger for the same price I would have paid at wal-mart for just the iPod!  I love to get a good deal and so does Jeff!

We got home around 5pm and got to work on the Korean meal. With great teamwork, the yakimondue, bulkoogi and rice was ready to eat at 7:30 pm.  Brandon came for dinner as he enjoys the meal as well. (He was the special sauce maker since Jeff wasn't home.)  I made enough for an army so the girls to take it back to college to eat.

TUESDAY came too soon. Sarah left before lunch to get back to Hope College.  Unfortunately, she left her share of the Korean food behind.  However my fresh baked cupcakes made the trip and were enjoyed by her and her housemates.

Mary helped my pick out new glasses.  The frames are really different for me, but I am exicted about getting them and trying something new! I was going to just have new lenses made for my current frames, but they would have had to take my frames. At this point in my life, I cannot function without my glasses. Mary spent the afternoon on homework and sewing the costumes.  They turned out pretty nice.  I think it is pretty awesome that she can sew things without a pattern!  I grilled steaks for dinner.  Believe it or not, I didn't burn them.  They even had pink in the middle!

By 6 pm I was driving Mary and Brandon back to University of Michigan. It was quite a nice ride back for me.  Mary was quizzing Brandon for his political science class and I learned a lot of new things!  It was amazing all the things he knew about other country's governments.  I told him that I would call his prof and tell him that he deserves and A as he knew all of the information!  Too bad I don't know who to call! LOL!  Dropping off was almost as quick as picking up.  I stopped the car by their dorm and they loaded up their arms with all their stuff and off they went with their share of the Korean food and fresh cupcakes.

Since it was only 8:30pm, I high tailed it to Brighton and stopped in at JoAnn's Fabrics.  Matthew wants to be a jedi night for Halloween's Trunk or Treat and I had a pattern but had no material.  Good thing I stopped, as they had the eleven yards of brown material for the jedi cloak. Now I have to get to business and sew the crazy thing.  The drive home wasn't too bad, home before 11:30pm and plenty of time to rest for work on Wednesday.

THURSDAY I decided to take the forgotten Korean food to Sarah in  Holland. She was soooo happy, as that is pretty much her favorite food!   Took a few other things she wanted and treated her to Wendy's lunch.  It is always nice to spend time with your kids no matter how long or short that time is!

I was back in Greenville by 1 pm.   Spent time with the quilters and have come up with a new idea for my next quilt.  It is about time to get back to sewing with my buddies!

Thursday evening I went to the GHS faculty concert.  It was also a fundraiser for fine arts in our schools.  The concert was absolutely wonderful. All the music teachers from Greenville Public Schools performed.  We have such talented teachers to instruct the kids of Greenville. I am so proud to have known many of them.  Our kids have really been blessed to have them.  Mrs McDonough, Mrs Chapman and Mr VanHouten,  had awesome singing solos, jazz, classical and  pop. Piano playing from the awesome Kayle Clements and a Flute duet including Mrs Gould who made it look effortless. What can I say about the Lord's Prayer played by Mr Ayres on his trumpet--Wow--Awesome.

In addition to the faculty, they welcomed back a GHS alumni who played her cello as a solo and then played it to a silent movie about Jack the Ripper.  She wrote the  score and played it in person.  Quite impressive. Sure wish I could have ordered a DVD of the event.  It would have been worth the money spent.  Instead I did purchase a Christmas album and wish I had visited the cellist's table and bought one of hers too.  Oh well, can't do everything!

LAST NIGHT Matthew and I went to Lowell High School for the last football game  of the season. What a game!  Greenville beat Lowell for the first time in 15 years with a score of 35-21!  Way to go Jackets!  They are in the playoffs now and I will be anxious to see who we play.. East Grand Rapids again?  We sure looked good  last night.

TODAY I have been getting things accomplished at home.  Jeff should be arriving around supper time.  I am working on laundry, care packages, blogging, cleaning, preparing for Sunday School.  We are supposed to attend an Open House in our neighborhood. It would be nice to get to know our neighbors.  We don't see them very often.  Mt Calvary is having a spaghetti supper from 5-7. Hope we get to attend.   I like spaghetti.  Guess I can go even if Jeff isn't home yet.  Matthew doesn't like spaghetti.  All eyes will be on the TV tonight when the Sooners play Missouri.  Let's go Oklahoma!  They are currently #1 in the BCS.


 JUST A FEW UPDATES
  • Jeff has decided to cancel surgery on his cervical spine; very thankful for improved symptoms and hoping to consider other less-restrictive options. It has been amazing to see God at work!  I saw him suffer with numbness, tingling and pain with muscle atrophy this summer, only to witness his symptoms disappear over the last weeks before surgery plus the ability to lift his large suitcase with his weak arm just before he left on Monday.  Miracles are always happening.  Praise the Lord.  Jeff is glad to avoid fusion surgery that was scheduled for this Monday.  Keep praying for continued healing.  Thanks!
  • Other good news!  Jeff' passed his physical requirements for the Air Force and will be up for promotion to Full Colonel this week!  Wouldn't that be great!  Let's pin on the eagles!
  • I have an upcoming ultrasound next week as a followup after being diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. All of my other blood work and tests are normal.  We will see if it has shrunk or disappeared or if some sort of treatment is necessary.
  • Haven't been turned down from any job applications recently.  Still hoping to get an interview at Metro Hospital in the Special care Nursery.  Have applications open at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital on their pediatric units. I continue to plug away at my continuing education classes concentrating on Maternal Child nursing. 
  • Coming to Orlando in Spring 2011!  University of Michigan Men's Glee Club! Mary's best friend Brandon is a bass in this very talented group. It is worth attending!  Mary may have the chance to travel with the Women's Glee Club when they perform in the northwest united states.  Watch for more details!
  • Sarah is participating at Hope's annual Relay for Life.  If you would like to donate to her group's fund, contact her at s.wilhelm23@gmail.com. She is also selling "I  Love Hope College Athletic Training" t-shirts for $10 each.  I have one and they are very nice.  All proceeds go to Relay for Life. 
That is the latest at the Wilhelm household.  Next update...soon??


Gracie

HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY LORI!

1 comment:

Dakotapam said...

That made me super tired just reading it! You are a fabulous mom! It is no wonder your girls enjoy coming home so much! Thanks for the glimpse into your life!