Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lots of News

Church/Orchestra
Church went really well. The orchestra did a wonderful job. We had many compliments and I think we will plan to do this again sometime. I did drop a large music book on the keys of the clavinova during communion, and heard a few chuckles.

Birthday Cake/UP!
After church we got home and had some lunch. Mary made me a birthday cake while I took a much needed nap. She had the kitchen all cleaned too! Brandon and Nick came over to sing with Mary and the rest of us went to see the movie UP! I thought it was good, but as Mary (saw it earlier in the week) says it is kind of a sad movie for PIXAR. We came home and had delicious Devil's Food cake and then played a game of Cranium.

Softball in the Rain
Monday is softball day. It was pretty rainy most of the day, but being the die hard ball players, we waited till we got to the field to see if we could play. With dark clouds all around, we started playing and our team was up to bat first. The skies opened up and the heavy rains came down. The spectators gathered up the children and took cover, as there was a tornado watch and we heard a bit a thunder. The two teams decided to go ahead and play anyway. During our first at bats we scored 2 runs and then just as quickly the rain stopped and God sent a beautiful double rainbow! Our opponents had outscored us during the first half of the game, ahead 7-3. We came back and pulled ahead by 1 by the 6th inning. Our gloves were better and we had our bats on the ball. At the bottom of the 6th it was 10-8. We had our work cut out for us! Well we did it! We came from behind and won 17-10!

New Toy!
Our family has enjoyed playing the Wii I purchased with some christmas money last winter. Our fun was limited since we had only one remote control device. So for a birthday gift I bought another controller that came with 9 more games! Now we can play against each other instead of against the system (except for Bowling and Golf). We had a lot of fun playing games for several hours. Matt killed me in baseball. I really need to practice hitting. Matt is pretty good at all of the games. Sarah has had practice too, so it is fun to watch both of them duel.


I'd like to have a word with the FAFSA people
I have decided that the financial aid system for college is really a mind game. It really irritates me that the govt can decide how much we can afford for college. So we are using our thinking caps to come up with a game plan for college this year.

Employment?
Sarah has applied for several jobs with responses that usually sound like, we will be calling people in 3 weeks, or sorry we aren't hiring. I continue to hit brick walls with my job hunt as well. I was able to speak with someone at one of the hospitals that took my name and promised to send it on to the recruiter. Course, if I work another job, then the govt will think we can pay even more for college!

Prius
Well the Prius is ours. We got it this afternoon. It looks so nice and runs well. I am going to have to get used to the brakes and gas pedals as they are more sensitive then the windstar.


Driving Students
Matthew passed his writen driver's test and is done with his driving class. Yay! Tomorrow we will go to get his permit/license from the Secretary of State. Then he can start driving with us in the car. I hope I am ready for another young driver! Mary takes Segment II of driving class next week and is then eligible to take the road test. She can't wait to drive by herself.


Upcoming events
I will be making dessert for our quilting lunch tomorrow. It is the last potluck until the fall. We will either brown bag it or go out together for a DQ footlong hot dog. Mary is going to a White Caps baseball game with Brandon tomorrow and Sarah has an umping gig. I worked last night and again on Friday during the day. The Stanley Cup final is Friday night. Will the Red Wings win? Saturday is a golf tournament and Sunday is chapel for the Long term care facilities and a choir party out at a lake. Then we look forward to having Jeff's cousin, Jim and his family here to visit the beginning of the week.


Orthopedic Update
Sarah had her R knee examined today and the orthopedist said she has pain in her knee because her loose joints. With all the stress when climbing stairs and playing ball, it resulted in patellar tendonitis. She will get some PT for 2-4 weeks and also wear a patellar strap to keep the stress off of that tendon. Icing and Ibuprofen is something that she has already been doing and can continue to do. The good news is that she can keep playing ball, a sport that she loves!


Well, I am sure I will update soon!
Gracie!