Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hurts, Helps and Healing

Jeff drove me to the hospital and we arrived at outpatient surgery around noon. I got checked in right away and at 1pm was on my way to OR Holding.  My IV was started without any trouble and was ready for the surgery. Anesthesia and the OR nurse came for a visit and then about 3pm my surgeon came to talk to us.  Dr. Maskill was very friendly and answered all of our questions fully and so we could understand. Jeff and I like him a lot.  Doc said once I can walk around in my shoe I can do whatever I want, no restrictions!  That is great! Same rule of thumb like Matt's instructions, if hurts back off. So I was off to surgery just after 3pm and in recovery before 4pm.  Got some morphine several times and slept a lot.  Back to my room before 6 pm.  Still very sleepy, but able to take ice chips and answer questions before drifting off again.  Really hurt to walk to bathroom even with a walker, so got more pain meds. Then the nausea kicked in. Weird, mainly when I would sit up. Threw up a few times, but nothing too bad.  Finally decided to go home, eventhough I was still really tired, but I knew I could sleep at home too. The whole staff at Blodgett Hospital were very nice, professional and took great care of me. Jeff picked up my pain meds and got me a Happy Meal on the way home.  I ate it a little at a time and kept everything down!  Yay!  Slept on the couch in the living room, as it is easier to prop my leg up with pillows and wouldn't injure Jeff with the boot on my leg! Taking pain meds every four hours as suggested by my nurse. Good idea! Getting around pretty good with Sarah's old crutches to help.  Allowed to walk in boot  full weight bearing, but it is still too sore for that.  I try to do that for short distances.  Thanks to all for your prayers! Things are going according to plan!

Matthew started his job at the church's childcare center and had a good day.  He worked again this morning for a few hours and came home a fell asleep. He stayed up late taking care of his mommy.  :)

Mary had a fun time with her friend Kirstie yesterday.  Went shopping together, bought matching dresses (cute!) and then went to the blues festival at Rosa Parks circle in Grand Rapids.  She had a really fun time! Today she is giving two cello lessons and then will attend her best friend, Brandon's dad's wedding on the beach.  It will be a fun day for her!

Sarah keeps busy at work and seems to be loving her job.  I think she is happy to have her own transportation this week with our van in Holland.  She is growing up to being pretty independent and doing great!  Praise the Lord.

That is all for now...to sum up from my heading:

Hurts~ my leg hurts, but the pain meds are helping and I am getting around pretty well.

Helps~Jeff and kids are helping me with all that I need. Prayers from family and friends appreciated & needed

Healing~ time for healing, taking it easy, icing, meds and rest.

Thanks again...Lots of  Love!

Gracie

No comments: