Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Safe and Sound~Weak and Weird

Mary and Brandon arrived in New Jersey safe and sound late last night. We are so thankful to our friends who they will be staying with this week. Heard they even had spaghetti dinner when they arrived. Mary texted me around noon today while sitting in Liberty Square waiting for their tour of Independence Hall.  They are having a lot of fun and I am happy for them.

I went to my post-op appointment this afternoon and Dr Maskill's Nurse (R.N.) took off my dressing and removed 9 staples from the side of my leg.  It didn't hurt that much, and now I have some steri strips on until they fall off by themselves.  I can take a shower and start to do whatever is comfortable. "Let your pain be your guide!" I do have some brusing on the back of my calf and a little sore on the top of my foot where the ace wrap rubbed underneath the boot. No open areas, so I just need to give it good care!  The nurse said I could continue to wear the boot, change to my shoes or do a combination of both.  I was pretty nervous to take my first steps with both shoes on this afternoon. It felt very weird to walk, the shoe felt weird and my muscles felt weird, almost like I can feel each muscle working as best it can while I walk.  Sometimes it just feels really weak and other times like my calf is asleep and not sure if the leg will hold me up.  Sarah and Jeff were with me, giving me moral support and making sure I wouldn't fall.  Sarah reasssured me that my leg would hold me up even if it didn't seem like it. I did pretty well all afternoon seeing improvement in my gait even hours after my appointment.  This evening I put the boot on again, it gives me a little security and cuts down on the soreness in my calf when I walk.  It is nice that I can take it on and off  as I need to and wear a sock on both feet.  The pain is not much anymore, only taking Tylenol for the past few days. Keeping up with the Aspirin until the bruising resolves. Nurse wants me to still monitor for potential blood clots. Physical Therapy was ordered, and the earliest initial appointment is 7/14/10! I told them I was very disappointed to wait two weeks before therapy.  The lady on the phone said the doctors know and they are ok with it. Here is my favorite line-"You should be ok".  I hate that word should.  I had the option of going to my therapist here in Greenville, but the nurse suggested that going to the office's PT at first might be better since they know the doctors and what they like etc.. So I am on the waiting list for cancellations.  Hopefully they will call me and say I can come earlier.  I will see the doctor on 8/16 to see how I great I am doing!

Matthew got his TB test this morning and worked 6 hours this afternoon.  Today he walked and pulled a wagon with little ones to an ice cream store.  It was quite a walk and Matthew said it was tiring.  The kids weren't tired and played on the playground when they got back! Whew! He works tomorrow a few hours in the AM and then on Thursday in the afternoon. He got Friday off and we hope to go to a Tigers game after Sarah returns for another week at home. She works tomorrow and Thursday before a break over the 4th of July weekend.

Softball Monday ended in another loss. Our opponent's had big bats and quick gloves and made good plays.  We were down 10-0 in the 4th inning and came back with 7 runs!  By the last inning, we needed 8 runs to go ahead. We  had another great inning with good hits and base running, but only got 4 to cross the plate. Score ended up 16-11.  I remind our team that we are playing for fun, this is the only way some of us get to play ball at all.  No need to get upset about the outcome, just enjoy the game and do your best! We know it is fun to win though right?

After the game,  the team went for ice cream, as usual, and enjoyed time talking around the picnic tables.  Then we were off to Wal-Mart for some shopping. We needed some groceries and Sarah needed some more things for her cottage, food, pop and  some bowls to cook things in the microwave and eat her mac and cheese.  The plastic bowls were really junky and not microwave safe or dishwasher safe.  So the corelle we bought her is sturdy, fashionable, microwavable, and dishwasher safe plus it will last her a long time, as long as it "doesn't walk away".

Well, I guess that covers it for today!

Gracie

PS~Pictures of leg on Photo Album. Staples and all, may not be for everyone.

No comments: