Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Life

This spring/summer has had it's ups and downs.  I keep waiting for things to settle down and have some routine.  Seems I just can't keep up with things between all of the events of our lives.  Thanks to Jeff he helps me keep up with the bank and bills, dog duty, laundry and cooking. Matthew keeps the house straightened and vacuumed and Mary and Sarah have gone shopping for me when I need something. Still I feel like I can never catch up, and things just aren't getting done. Most of you know the ups and downs if you read this blog, but I must include my frustration with a bad haircut.  I got it cut just before graduation, and it was uneven and hard to style. Went back to have it "fixed" and still had trouble with styling and the look of one side being longer than the other.  My Mary finally trimmed it to be symmetrical, but I don't feel like it ever looks very good. Weighing my options.  What to do now??  I applied for a few more nursing jobs, and got one rejection and two are in limbo..still reviewing my application.  Matthew's nurses at the Children's Hospital told me I have to go in person to get noticed.  That certainly isn't a option right now.  The new hospital opens next year, and there are supposed to be lots of openings.  Hope one can be for me.

My leg continues to hurt throughout different times of the day.  I can't say there is pain all the time, but the inside of my upper calf has intermittent pain that makes me suck in lots of air from time to time. Seems like the swelling is a little better than last week, and there is no redness on my leg. Still take my pain pills two to three times a day and the boot feels a tight around my leg especially in the evening.  I was close to calling the doctor back yesterday, but I think things are ok and I don't want to be an alarmist. I get around pretty well and ice and elevate my leg as ordered by the surgeon.  I'd like to be comfortable sleeping in a bed, but the couch seems to be the best place so far. I can't wait  for next week, when I can take the boot off and shower!  For now,  sponge baths continue. I should be glad that I only have to wear this boot two weeks, when lots of people wear it for 6, some of those without walking. Count your blessings!

Sarah has been sad since she hasn't been able to find her favorite swimsuits and some other things from her dorm room. I have looked everywhere here, but alas nothing was found.  So Sarah went and bought a new swimsuit for a beach outing this weekend. She continues to love her job and we love having her home each week for softball.  She likes having the van. We don't know if she can be home for the next Softball Monday game.  I hope so, since we are short on ladies!

Mary is officially a wolverine. She spent two and a half days at new student orientation. She met lots of new people, made some friends, attended a live show, a movie and of course meeting with advisers.  Her first semester will  have the following classes: Psychology, Poetry, American History through 1865, and freshmen seminar American Family.  She got a nice haircut in Grand Raapids yesterday and is spending the day with Brandon. It is his birthday! She gave cello lessons today and has English students tomorrow.

Matthew has been running games at VBS this week and doing a great job. He has no helpers really, just the adults that lead the kids around, different each group.  He also took a Geometry test yesterday and thinks he did pretty well and will take one or two more tomorrow afternoon.  He worked on Tuesday and Thursday at with the childcare.  He really likes it and they love him! I skipped VBS this morning, I think I need to rest my leg more in the morning and use the time to get computer work done. I can really only sit comfortably at the desk for 30 minutes, then need a rest. Will probably stay home tomorrow too.  Matthew really wants to see Toy Story 3!  I would go, but it would be too hard to sit in the theater that long.

I am HAPPY to report that we are going to get more TV channels! Our cable company offered us a bundle that will save us some money, and in the end will give us digital TV with some of my favorite channels like..BRAVO, Fox News,  the Big Ten Channel and Matthew will be happy with the Cartoon Network. Mary likes the History Channel. Installation is next week.

That is all for now...survived some rainy stormy weather and now enjoying sunny weather!  God is Good! All the Time!

Gracie

No comments: