Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Last Week of October


Well, I can't believe that the end of October is here! As you can see the kids have their costumes and Sarah has already gone to a party as a bunch of grapes. Our church will be holding a "trunk or treat" Friday while Mary will be passing out 1,000 pieces of candy to the people at our house. You see everyone in town trick or treats on our street. We have dogs, adults holding newborns, kids with 2-3 bags for cousins who are sick and some adults dressed up for candy for themselves. After passing out "good" candy the first year, and our kids getting a bag of jolly ranchers, I pass out tootsie rolls and dum dum suckers to the neighborhood. I keep a few chocolates for people we might know. So if they want the big candy..they can visit trunk or treat at church. I am going to put up a little sign on our front door.
Our Reformation Service was very nice. The West Michigan Lutheran Chorale came and sang several anthems. The service was a hymn festival, my favorites were "Thy Strong Word" and "A Mighty Fortress". Our church choir sang as well, and did a great job. I was also proud of our chime team. It was our first day of playing publicly this year. We added a new member to the team last night at practice and we had a great rehearsal! We will play again in about 3 weeks. Next Sunday the kids choir, made up of all girls, are going to sing with choreography. Our song "Soon and Very Soon".

Now on to baseball. I am so distressed at the poor calls made by the World Series umpires. It is beginning to look like they "want" the Phillies to win. I am glad the Rays tied the game last night with the awesome running of Upton and the single by Pena. Otherwise, they might have had to call the game and the Phillies win due to the weather. The playing conditions were horrible. We don't know when they will be able to play the rest of the game. I'd like to see the series go back to Tampa.

We have had wet cold weather for the past few days. There was talk of snow showers too, but so far we haven't seen any flakes. Sunday afternoon we did have small, soft hail showers. It was incredible. Sarah said Holland had hail showers monday morning while see was walking to class. She is assigned to football now, where she goes to the football practices and is available to assist with injuries. Sarah called my cell phone and left me a message that she had pitcher/catcher warm up this morning @ 0630 and that it went really well. I am so happy for her. She really loves to play catcher. I pray that she makes the Hope team this winter. She sure is showing her passion, commitment and abilities to the coach and making a lot of friends on the team. Jeff and I are going to spend Friday the 7th at Hope for parents weekend. We will attend some classes, have dinner with Sarah, go to a concert and a parents reception. We decided against going back on Saturday for the events since it is just too hard getting ready for church the next day.

Tonight is Mary's first Orchestra concert. She says the music is pretty easy, since we have to let the freshman adjust. Still I am looking forward to it. I work tomorrow 12 hours, and Friday 9 hours. Wednesday night is always long with 3 hours of choir..kids, adults and praise team. I like them all (I lead the kids choir). The high school musical is in 2 weeks and Mary reports that they are a little behind. She gets frustrated with the lack of commitment and lack of focus that some bring to the stage. I am sure it will all turn out well in the end.. It has in the past. Matt has enjoyed working in the scene shop for the play, using new tools and learning about sets. He came home and explained all kinds of things yesterday and was happy to learn to use new equipment like a jigsaw. Don't worry he is using safety goggles and other required protection!

Well, we didn't golf this morning. Too cold and I have a cold, sniff-cough. So my buddy Norma and I are going to meet for lunch in just 30 minutes! Our bowling team is still in first place! We managed to take 3 points from a very good team of bowlers. The most exciting moment was when the lights went out just as I released my ball......there was silence. I was thinking what happens now? I felt pretty good about my ball and now there was no power. Just as my ball hit the pins, the power came on and I got a strike. I bowled a strike in the dark! WooHoo! The whole league applauded! What a moment!

Better get going to lunch! Have a great day!

Grace










(Sarah's Pumpkin)

PS: Happy Birthday GG!