Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Florida

We had quite the experience on our travels down to Florida yesterday. Arrived at the Grand Rapids airport on time; Jeff dropped Matthew and me off to check bags and he parked the car. Do you know that it costs $20 a bag now? What I am supposed to travel without luggage and wear the same clothes? I think that this encourages people to bring more carry on bags and of course it is a racquet because they know you have to check bags especially if you need more than 3 oz of shampoo. Anyway we had a little snack before going through security. Soon after our plane arrived, I overheard a deplaning passenger say- "You don't want to fly that airline!" I thought "Oh No!" Not a few moments later, the gate person annouced there were problems with the aircraft and there would be a delay! Evidently it had to be towed from the runway to the gate. Groan. Our connection in Chicago O'Hare allowed us less than an hour to get to the next gate. We are going to miss our next plane! Proactively, the American Airlines person booked all passengers on the next flights and connections. Some were sent to other airlines to get them to their destination in a reasonable amount of time. We were booked for a 2:15pm flight to CHicago and arriving in FL around 7 pm. After about 30 minutes, the mechanic was able to fix the plane and we would keep our original flights. So we were on the plane and in the air by 12:20pm and landed in Chicago at 12 noon. Our connections left us minutes to get from H-3 to K-17. The steward allowed us and another passenger with a "tight" connection to deplane first. They we were, running though the airport. We heard the final call for the Orlando flight. Jeff took the lead to get there first to have them hold the door for the rest of the family. Matt arrived second and I came up laset huffing and puffing. The door was already closed. The gate keeper was waiting till I arrived and then opened it and allowed us to board. Thank God we made it. It took a while for my breathing to correct itself and I had a couple of coughing spells. I bet I was wheezing because I sound like Sarah when she has a flare up of asthma. I took the window seat and was glad to see our bags being loaded onto the plane! YaY! The flight was fine. Matthew let me use his iPod to listen to music, Jeff rested and Matthew played some gameboy games, I think I saw Jeff playing too! It is wierd not having a laptop with us, but it is good not to worry about those things and just enjoy yourself. Once in Florida, we picked up our blue Nissan Vista and drove to Grandma's. It was probably around 5:30pm. Dinner at Outback. It was delicious and then we came home and watched some TV and visited until bed time. What a day! Checked in with the girls back home in Michigan and all is well!

Today is father/son and mother/daughter day. Jeff and Matt are at Universal Studios today until ~6pm. Mom and I are going curtain shopping at the mall and doing lunch together. The weather here is hot and humid in contrast to Michigan's cool but sunny weather. Tomorrow is Epcot day for all the Wilhelm's! Looks like I could make reservations for dinner at a World Restaurant, but will have to wait until tonight after my men get home. I enjoy Epcot a lot, but am not looking forward to the hot humid weather!

That is all for now. I don't have access to my cute little pictures or photos, so you will have to be happy with my creative writing skills! Hahahah!

Grace