Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!

Well we might not have any of those beasts, but we have had a problem with bats! Jeff killed one about a month ago and then we had one Tuesday in the late morning. I sat down by this computer and noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye. It was a bat stuck in our brass floor lamp! I called Jeff and he came home. He caught it and killed it. Now it is weird that the bat was awake and all in the day. Although he could have been stuck for awhile or he was sleeping on the ceiling and fell in. According to our "batman" he said there are lots of "teen" bats out there getting into mischief and are still learning how to fly. I didn't notice anything when I got up at 0430. Mary was up at 0530 and didn't noticed anything either. Bottom line is this. If he was flying around while we were sleeping, he could have nipped us with his small teeth and we might not have noticed. None of us have any new areas that could be bites, so we don't think there was an exposure. We are not even sure when he showed up. I took the carcass into the health department today for testing. It might be too decayed for testing we are not sure. Either way, the bat was sent to Lansing and if they can will test for rabies and have info by tomorrow afternoon. Please pray that they can test it and that it is negative. The Varmint Evictors are coming any minute to inspect our house and prevent anymore bat experiences.

Sammy got groomed this morning. I went to our vet this time because the old place was really dirty and the people didn't seem as nice. I told the new lady that I like his "arms and legs" trimmed close along with his feathery tail. So she said more like a lab dog. "Yeah I guess" I replied. Well when I picked him up, he didn't even look like my dog! Let's just say he got a dog's version of a buzz cut. Good for the summer. I like his hair better when it is fluffy to pet it. I just thought it would get thinned out and trimmed short. Oh well, hair grows back even on a dog! Poor Sammy. Mary doesn't like it, Sarah says he looks like a puppy and Matthew says pretty cool, not so much to vacuum. I suppose we will get used to it. The Vet doesn't carry Frontline anymore so now we have a new flea med. It really has a strong scent, like eucalyptus. I am anxious for it to wear off.
Matthew has wanted to paint his room for a long time. I finally gave the ok and it is already painted. I like to call it the chocolate room...it is a nice shade of brown. We picked up his wallpaper border today and will hang it on Saturday. The border is sports equipment with a baseball glove, hockey skates, football and such.

Sarah is getting ready for college. She has been in contact with her roommate and they are planning for an awesome dorm room. We have most things she needs purchased except for things like laundry soap and school supplies. She will need to clean up her room at home too, before we leave on Aug 22. The whole family will have orientation on Saturday the 23rd. It sounds like a pretty fun time.

Tomorrow is my last day of work. I work 9a-4p. Their new house is really nice and my patient is doing well. I have gotten a lot of errands done today. I still need to go to the post office, get money for my pop cans and get my pre-op labs drawn today or tomorrow. Your prayers for sucessful surgery on Monday morning and for a quick recovery are appreciated.

I am looking forward to the Olympics that start tomorrow night!
Grace

PS You can click on the pictures to see them larger.

Update! 1-Can't have labs drawn until the weekend. 2-Having the Bat Man eliminate bats with one way doors and seals. 3-Sarah is not feeling well. Has a sore throat. 4-We have church at Camp Concordia this Sunday and I am playing the keyboard, followed by a potluck picnic. That is all...for now, hahahaha.