Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oh the Drama!

The last softball game of the season started off with a load of drama! On the way to the field,which is 15 minutes west of Greenville, I got a call that  several players would be very late as they were on the wrong field. I said, "Where are you?".  They were at the field I was going heading for, but there were already two teams out there ready to play. The other teams said we were wrong. I met up with them there since I knew the whole team was coming.  Pulled out our cell phones and started calling people.  Even had to call Sarah, since she had numbers that no one else had.  There was no way to contact our fans so I asked the teams there to send them to the correct field.  Ah yes the correct field..Called the Coach of the other team and they were in Belding waiting for us! That field south and east of Greenville, at least 20 minutes back.  Needless to say our team was unhappy with this fiasco and out gas money from travelling so far around to find the right field.  One of our team members ended up in a ditch temporarily making a u-turn to go back to the right field. Everyone is fine, the car made it to the game with the help of others pushing him out.

Obviously, we were all half spent when we got arrived at the new field.  We pulled ourselves together and played hard.  Some were playing new positions since we were missing some key team members, and our line up had major changes. All in all we were ahead by one in the top of the 6th inning, then the other team came back with a rally and scored seven.  We just couldn't get enough runs to win. Oh, O forgot to mention that the other team had a guy come out and declare that he would ump the entire game.  Rules state that you ump for your own team when they are batting.   So I thought "Should I make a stink about it or play ball?"  We just played ball and I we were watchful of his calls.  He seemed pretty fair.

The word from the coaches was that there was a schedule change mid-season at the emergency meeting.  I wasn't there, Matt was in the hospital, and my representative said there was no discussion or handouts given at this meeting. Evidently after talking with one of co-commissioners, the message wasn't passed on to us about the field change. Sorry?!? 

We usually go for ice cream after the game, and some of the team did.  Mary and I were hungry for food and we were already in Belding, so we went to Jimmy's Pub and Grub instead.  The service was fast and the food delicious!  Looking back, I do feel sad that I missed the team ice cream last night, but having ice cream for dinner isn't very healthy.

My leg has been pretty sore last night and this morning. My calf feels really tight most of the time. The therapist said I am right where I am supposed to be, but the sensation of having a tight sock on is annoying.  I am going to keep stretching it but start icing more.

Norma called and invite me to lunch at..Jimmy's Pub and Grub after my buddies are through with golf this morning.  Love having lunch with them, and love the ranch dressing!  Norma is going to embroider Matthew's name on his orange bandana for the youth gathering.  It will look nice. Still need to get Matthew all set for his trip. Tonight is the potluck for the youth groups.  I will start cooking the pork soon.

That is all for now....

Gracie

No comments: