Thursday, July 22, 2010

So Much to Report

So much has happened since my last entry that my creative thinking skills have been rather dull by exhaustion. Even as I write this, I am not sure how to tackle everything.  Looks like I left off Friday night/early Saturday morning. Guess I should blog by topics as they occurred.


JEFF CAME HOME- I drove down to Grand Rapids for the fourth day in a row, including two trips  to the airport in about 24 hours.  It was so good to have Jeff back home, even if it was just for 24 hours.  We accomplished a lot about family business during the ride home and then enjoyed a dinner out with Mary after she finished her shift at McDonald's. Good times don't last, because I had to get a few loads of laundry done for Jeff's Air Force trip the next day.  I also had to practice the piano for church. Sunday morning service went fine and I got through without any major problems.

GRASS TOO LONG- We got a notice from the City of Greenville, that we were in violation of having grass that was too long with tall weeds.  Great, we had three days to correct the issue or they would cut it and charge us a fee.  I should have forced the issue with Matthew on Friday morning and our stress levels on Sunday afternoon would have been eased. After we got home from church, I changed my clothes to go out and at least try to mow the lawn, something I have rarely done.  A wet spot on my carpet delayed my start, and poor Sammy got reprimanded.  I thought I had cleaned up the spot and thought the smell in my room would be better after mowing, so off I went.  I got the mower started right away and I figured since it was a self-propelled mower, walking behind it would be no big deal.  I was wrong.  My leg hurt pretty bad walking back and forth mowing dry, brown grass.  Sure there was a few long spots, but nothing that made the property look unappealing.  I was mad at the city and frustrated that Matthew was so against helping out on Friday morning.  Jeff got home and said I should have just stopped and sent me back in the house to rest my leg. I iced it real well too.  Mary grilled our lunch while Jeff continued working on the lawn.  He got it looking pretty good. We sure could use some rain here.  We have had lots of hot humid weather.

A DISCOVERY- Well, I got the laundry done and folded up for Jeff's trip to Shaw AFB.  Went upstairs to shower. Jeff said, boy this carpet is pretty wet!  Did you soak it up? I went back over to the area and question and it was a lot wetter than before, and the room still smelled.  After feeling around, it was wet all the way to the outside wall.  Jeff pulled back the drapes and saw water running down the wall from our window A/C unit.  Oh no, we don't need this, not now.  Too bad we had a leaky AC unit and there was lots of water in our carpet. Jeff got the unit out of our window and I was trying to get the water out of the rug.  All the while, I am thinking, Jeff is leaving how I am going to handle all of this??  By the way, I apologized to Sammy.  It wasn't his doing.

BACK TO THE AIRPORT- By 3:30pm we were on the road for the airport again. Jeff got text messages that his plane was going to be delayed at least 30 minutes.  That was good for getting to the airport, but he would miss his connection in Atlanta. Stress!  By the time we reached the airport, Delta got some brains and delayed other flights to accomodate those delayed in Michigan. The weather was bad in many parts of the country so delays abounded everywhere. I was feeling pretty down by now and wished Jeff's flight was cancelled so he could stay just one more day.  That didn't happen, but God sent us some emotional sunshine.  Jeff and I were standing in the waiting area, waiting for time to pass, when we got a wonderful surprise.  Our friend's daughter, her husband and their new baby girl were there waiting for his flight too.  It was so nice to spend some time with them, holding a beautiful precious little girl.  It was just what I needed.  Thank you Lord! 




WATER DAMAGE- I tried to get more water out of my carpet Sunday night, with very little success.  I called a fellow softball player that works in the cleaning/refurbishing business and he came over and took control of the situation.  Pulled the carpet back and blew fans to dry it out.  The hardwood floor underneath did have water damage too.  There would be lots of work ahead. Monday Dan worked hard and set up a tent bowing 100 degree temperatures into the sub floor, with other fans blowing on the floor and walls.  Insurance company was notified, PT rescheduled, and photos taken of the damage. Mary and I decided it was time to move furniture and clear things out.  So the old computer went in the basement and the computer desks have been changed out.  Not sure what to do with the old one from the living room. Packed up all my stuffed animals and moved the sewing table and machine into Sarah's room with her permission. Plan to pack up as much stuff and throw away stuff too so that the painting and stuff will be easier.

As of today, we are on day three of drying out. No mold and the smell is gone.  After the drying process is done, the hardwood floor will need repair, the wallpaper will come done and it the whole room will get repainted. It is our chance to change the color scheme.  Originally, we were  going to replace the padding and put back the awful green carpet. Dan did a great job sanitizing the carpet. The more we thought about it, we would like to just pull the green carpet and have hardwood floor in our room.  We need to see if how the rest of the floor looks.

IT'S A PARTY!- That is what Pete the Greek said when he greeted us at our local Ford dealer. I received a flyer in the mail and was guaranteed a prize of 25,000 dollars, a new car or gold one dollar coins.  Pete was hilarious and talked so loud I thought he'd get a talking too. We played a scratch off game and lost the big money and the car.  So each of my kids get a golden one dollar coin. He wants to sell me or anyone in my family a car. He has great deals!  We left without one, no worries!

SHOPPING WITH MARY- Mary and I have had a lot of fun shopping together.  Got some groceries, and some other items on my ongoing list for Wal-Mart or Meijer.  Mary recycled all the cans, $21 worth!  I hate that job and am so happy Mary is willing to do it. Today after my therapy, we went to Kohl's to use the free money we got the last time we were there.  We also had some good coupons and ended up saving more than 90 dollars.  Spent less than 40.  I finally have a Michigan t-shirt, Mary got some nice tops and I got Sarah a few tops that I knew she needed.  Lunch was going to be at Texas Roadhouse, but they are not open for lunch here so we went to Olive Garden and enjoyed breadsticks, salad and ravioli, both toasted and baked.  Mary had calamari too. Before heading home, we stopped at Target and have almost completed college shopping for Mary. Finally found a kitchen/microwave cart, a measuring cup so she can eat Easy Mac, some storage containers and paper files. Mary bought a new iPod alarm clock and a very nice bag for her computer.  The cart is already put together and the iPod charging. I bought myself a organizer that I am going to use for music.

MY LEG- With all the excitement, I have been walking and using my leg more. The past few days I have had a little more discomfort, especially on the lateral side of my ankle and right around the incision. My awesome therapist, massaged out the hard muscles and told me that I was doing well, and my range of motion is better.  The incision site looks really good, one of the best she has seen.Had a good therapy session and added some new exercises for home.  She has allowed me to stretch twice a day instead of three times a day.  Some of the exercises are only once a day.  I go back for therapy again on Friday.  My car can probably get to G.R. on it's own!

WEDDING- I met with the bride this afternoon about music for her wedding.  She was very pleasant and we had music picked out in 30 minutes.  It was really hot in the church. Now that I have the bride's selections, I can practice focusing on the processional, recessional unity candle songs.  Three weeks should be enough for me to feel comfortable.

MATTHEW COMES BACK-in just 12 hours!  I will leave around 12:30 tomorrow afternoon and head back to the airport. It will be nice having my boy back home. Anxious to hear  how he liked the Youth Gathering and see all the stuff he bought. He called once, asked me a question and then answered a few of mine.  He did say he was having fun. Wonder what the service project was.  I also know that he was able to spend time with my brother and his family who were at the gathering too.

SARAH AND JEFF check in with me regularly.  Jeff checks in to see how I am doing and I keep him abreast of how the house is too. His first few days at the AFB have gone well.  Sarah keeps me up to date with texts and calls during the day. We chat on Facebook during the Tiger's games, which is the next best thing to watching them with her. She worked a LONG day today, from 7:30 am to after 9 at night.  ChaChing!

Guess that is it. Signing off at 0230!

Gracie

No comments: