Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Big Change in Plans (18 days)

Sunday didn't go as planned.  Matthew was in a lot of pain after the church luncheon. Mary's birthday cake remains uncut, and we headed to take Jeff to the airport for his military duty and instead of the mall and steak n shake, we went to the ER at DeVos Childrens' Hospital.  We had quick service in the ER and after the lengthy prep for the CT scan showed appendicitis. His appendix was not in the "normal" place, that is why his pain was in the upper abdomen not the lower. By 11:15pm he was in surgery and the girls and I were waiting for an hour and a half before it was over. It was very big and inflamed.  Good thing we got it out! Sarah's friend came to pick them up at 2 am and took them to Steak and Shake before going home. I was sad that Mary's 18th birthday had such a sad turn of events.

It is Wednesday night and we are still in the hospital. He can't seem to find his appetite and continues to have pain and nausea.  We hope that the change of medicines will make a better difference for him.  Our care is starting to meet our expectations and we have total trust in the doctors. Of course we miss Jeff and wish he were here, and he wishes the same.

I missed Mary's last orchestra concert last night which makes me sad, but there is no way I will leave Matthew here alone. Tomorrow is the Choir concerts. Our friend will be coming to sit with him while I attend, should Matthew  still be in the hospital.  We are praying that tonight will  be a turning point for him and we can get back home in Greenville.  We are just trying to roll with all the punches.  Next week is honors week, so I hope that we will all be home in time for the activities. Mom H comes next Thursday.  Then Mom and Dad W will be here the following week before graduation.

My surgery has been postponed  until June 16th.  I am glad that I did that proactively, since  I wasn't sure how long Matt's recovery would be. Gives me more time to play softball. Missed Monday's game, and only 9 people played, one was sick. We won anyway in extra innings! GO TEAM!

Well Matthew wants to go brush his teeth, so I am going to sign off for now.  Not sure of when the next post will be, but hopefully from home!

Gracie

1 comment:

mipackerfan said...

I can't imagine how hard it must be for you all...especially with Jeff not there. We pray that the Lord gives you the strength to take one day at a time, and we pray for Matthew to heal well and get home soon.