Saturday, May 22, 2010

Now What?? (15 days left)

Last time I wrote, we were getting ready to go home.  Matthew was happy, had free whitecaps tickets and looking forward to being out of the hospital. Alas, it was short lived.  We got home and he took a nap, as he wanted to at least attend the choir concert he was supposed to sing in. He even thought of singing just his solo!  When he woke up, he felt bad again. Thought he felt a lump under his incision. He put on his suit for choir and then said, Mom I just can't do it. I told him not to worry and he got back in his jammies and on the sofa bed to watch a movie with Sarah. I went to the concert and filled Matthew prescriptions. The concert was very good.  Brandon is home and we sat together.  It was nice to see him again.  After the show he came over and we finally lit the birthday candles and ate birthday cake. Oddly enough, it was still moist. Matthew was sleeping and I hoped for a quiet and healing night.
Friday morning wasn't any better. He woke up with a pain level of 6 even with his meds through the night. The lump or bulge was more noticeable and hard. I talked with the surgeons office and our primary care doctor, none of which could see us, so I requested that they call ahead to the ER and have a surgeon from the group see us there.  I wasn't going to start all over. My buddy Jackie took us to ER and we got right back to a room.   Generally speaking our intial care was speedy and well delivered. The PA wasn't trustworthy.  She asked dumb questions..like why are you here? Dont feel so well??  No kidding, read the chart! I asked her if  she kept her own notebook.  Then she said Matt had strep. Wow, I said he has been on antibiotics for a week! See all that plaque on his tonsil. She swabbed anyway to confirm diagnosis. Meanwhile the surgeon came in. He removed the steri strips and pus oozed out.  Frown.  He opened he incision a little to allow any drainage to escape.  All the peds surgeons here are very nice. Matthew and I trust them all.  The firm bulge remained so he needed a ct scan and labs. When we told the doctor that the PA said he had strep, he said really??  He looked in his throat and said, that isn't strep, he has thrush! The rest of the ER stay was slow and had little interaction with staff.  Results of the CAT Scan came around 10:15 pm.   He has 4 little abcesses. Not drainable, so we are here in our nice private room for IV antibiotics for at least 3 days.  He has been more comfortable since they are letting him have pains meds as often as needed.  Nurses have been nice, got the dressing all fixed up that ER didn't want to deal with. So the drsg was stuck for hours. IV's are all together and better than how the ER sent them up.  We are glad to be on 7 North.   The doctors have been here this morning and we have a good plan of treatment and care for him.  We have meds for the thrush, good pain control and vision of the next few days. Matthew's lungs have some atelectasis which shows his lungs aren't full expanded, so we continue with the incentive spirometer to help expand them.  He will get up to walk around 3 times today.  Increased IV rate since he isn't very thirsty or hungry today.

As for me, I am tired.  Tired of my boy being sick, tired of not experiencing the joys of Mary's senior year, tired of missing Jeff and really tired of eating hospital food and hospital "beds" for parents. I am glad that I can stay and I wouldn't leave him right now for anything.  The girls visited  in the ER last night and we had some good laughs.  Whent he PA got snippy, Sarah said my brother was sleeping!  Watch out for the big sister PA! I am weary. There isn't much I can do from here, but this is where I need to be, to care for my Matthew. I continue to trust in God and am really happy that the Holy Spirit is praying on our behalfs, because I am running out of steam.  Getting calls and messages are helpful.  Glad that I have a way of communicating from my room on the internet.

My hopes now are that Matthew gets well soon without any more needed procedures.  That Mary has a fantastic last week of high school.  It is honors week, she will be awarded honors Monday on Leadership Day,  Wednesday for scholarships, Thursday for Academics (Matthew too) and Friday is Swingout and the Senior Mystery Trip.  Safe travels for Jeff and my Mom who arrive back in MI this week.  That the high school will help us get Matthew sophomore year done with the help of a home teacher.  Graduation and Open House are on my mind just a little.  I have a few weeks before that happens.  God Help us all!

I don't mean to end the blog sounding depressed. I am actually doing pretty well today. The nurses are friendly and the room is pretty big and quiet.  Keep praying! We all need it!

Gracie, God's Child

No comments: