Sunday, March 28, 2010

State Solo and Ensemble

The whole family and a friend drove up to Central Michigan University with Mary to listen to her play for State Solo and Ensemble.  Mary played her solo the best ever! Then she played 5 scales and sightread a very bizarre piece of music.  The judge was complimentary.  He is the husband of Mary's private cello teacher from several years ago.  He told her, "Mrs Tenney would be very proud of you!"  In the end she scored a 90 which is a superior or level one rating. Mr. Clements, her accompanist, is very talented and funny too!  He is also the new accompanist for the GHS Choirs.  He is a wonderful addition to our school's music program.   Mary and Matthew think he is awesome too! This was Mary's last solo and ensemble (mine too), and she has gotten all superiors at the district level and 3 superiors and one excellent (Freshman Year) at the state level.


After we got her rating and medal, we went shopping at the JCPenney in Mt Pleasant.  It is a bigger store,  so we were more successful at finding clothes. To celebrate Mary's success, we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings. I have never eaten there before.  I had chicken slammers that were just ok. I tried several different sauces and the garlic ranch was pretty spicy!  Next time I would get a burger. They do have a pretty fun trivia game there.  The questions are on a TV screen and you punch in your answer on a portable game board.

We got home after 6 pm and Mary then went to the symphony in Grand Rapids with the same friend. She just got home and said it was a nice concert. Matthew is at his buddy's house tonight. Tomorrow his mom is driving them to the church they will be travelling with to the National Youth Gathering in July.  I am excited for them.  There is a meeting after their service and Jeff and I can't go.  I am playing for church and participating with two choirs and teaching sunday school. Sarah will need to go back to Hope tomorrow, so we need to pack her up and get her there before bowling. Craziness!

Looking back over the past few days, Sarah and I had a nice time together this week.  We played some Wii games, shopped, had lunch together a couple times and watched March Madness. She and Jeff got her taxes done!  The week has gone by way too fast and I am dreading taking her back already.

Thursday night was the HS Collage Concert. It was very nice. Mary was the Master of Ceremonies and did a great job!  Matthew and Mary both sang with the Village Green and Mary played cello with the string orchestra, symphonic orchestra and two ensemble groups.  I ordered a DVD, so next time you visit you can experience the good music.

How about that March Madness?  Only Duke remains as a #1 seeded team.  How crazy is that?  Who will win?  I picked Butler for the first game and Kentucky for the second. Won the first and Lost the second.  Tomorrow I am hoping the Spartans will crush Tennessee Vols and Duke to beat Baylor.

I have prepared my Sunday School lesson and practiced the hymns for Palm Sunday! I hope all goes well! I will do my best.

Goodnight!

Grace

No comments: